Supported Housing provides invaluable housing and support for people with intellectual disabilities, physically disabled people, people at risk of becoming homeless, people with mental health problems, people who have experienced domestic abuse, prisoners reintegrating into society, and many others.

This is a vital part of New Zealand's housing solution, and a key focus for Kāinga Ora.

Around 3,700 Kāinga Ora houses across the country are operated by over 240 specialist Supported Housing Providers, either as Transitional Housing, or Community Group Housing.

Our role in Supported Housing

To effectively deliver Supported Housing, Kāinga Ora works closely with funders and Supported Housing Provider organisations.

Funders decide what services they fund, for whom, and who provides them. Kāinga Ora supports through the provision of the home that we rent or lease either directly to a Funder or to a Provider organisation they have funded. Examples of Funders include Ara Poutama Aotearoa - Department of Corrections, Oranga Tamariki - Ministry for Children, Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People and Te Manatū Whakahiato Ora - Ministry of Social Development.

Supported Housing Strategic Plan

Kāinga Ora has developed a Supported Housing Strategic Plan, which provides our people with strategic direction as we grow and evolve our provision of Transitional Housing and Community Group Housing for people and whānau in need. 

Read a summary of the Strategic Plan [PDF, 1.3 MB].

Transitional Housing

Transitional Housing provides temporary accommodation for people and whānau with urgent housing needs, combined with support services to help them address their needs, including Work and Income services, budgeting advice and health services.

Transitional Housing is the bridge between less secure housing such as emergency accommodation in motels or staying with friends and family, and secure long-term accommodation.

Kāinga Ora leases homes to specialist third-party providers of Transitional Housing, who are contracted by Te Tūāpapa Kura Kāinga - Ministry of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

See how many Kāinga Ora homes we have in our Transitional Housing portfolio.

You can find out more about Transitional Housing on the HUD website(external link).

Become a Transitional Housing Provider

If you’d like to supply Transitional Housing services, visit the HUD website(external link) for information on how to apply.

Community Group Housing

Community Group Housing provides residential and non-residential community housing for people with specific and often complex needs. This can include:

  • people living with mental illness
  • people who have physical and/or intellectual disabilities
  • people who abuse substances or have addictions
  • people who require refuge
  • families who need emergency housing
  • children/youth at risk
  • family support (such as Plunket, Barnardos, Tamariki Ora, budgeting).

Kāinga Ora rents or leases properties directly to specialist third-party Community Group Housing Providers. Homes are carefully selected to meet the needs of the Provider and their customers, and where required, Kāinga Ora will undertake modifications to ensure the home meets the agreed requirements.  

Over half of the  homes we provide are 1-, 2- and 3-bedroom properties, with the remainder being 4-, 5- and above. The largest property we provide for Community Group Housing has 18 bedrooms.

See how many Kāinga Ora homes we have in our Community Group Housing portfolio.

Become a Community Group Housing provider

Eligible organisations can apply directly with Kāinga Ora to become a Community Group Housing Provider in a Kāinga Ora home. We deliver housing where we have the funding and the resources available. To be eligible to apply for a home groups must be:

  • funded to provide services by another government agency
  • accredited, audited and monitored by another government agency to provide services
  • a registered charity, incorporated society or entity (e.g. limited liability company) and;
  • have sufficient funding to operate and afford market rent, and have the appropriate governance process and management structure to support the service.

Groups providing Transitional Housing that is funded by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development or the Department of Corrections are not eligible for a Community Group Housing property.

To register your interest with us or to find out more about the eligibility criteria, call us on 0800 801 601.

Our Community Group Housing Providers

If you rent or lease a community group home from us, this section contains relevant information for you.

Change in circumstances

Groups leasing or renting Community Group Housing properties are obligated to inform Kāinga Ora of any change in their circumstances, ideally well in advance of any change occurring.  A change in circumstances for a Group can impact on their eligibility for a CGH property, compliance, rent support and obligations under your funding contract. This could include:

  • changes to funding contracts
  • change of service
  • change to the group
  • changes to sources of income
  • changes in clients
  • changes to property requirements

If a Community Group Housing group has changes coming up in the near future, or changes have already happened, please contact us on 0800 801 601 to discuss.

Rent Support Scheme

Services providing support for people in residential supported living situations, family, welfare and respite services (both residential and non-residential) may be eligible for Rent Support. The amount of the subsidy, and who can receive it, depends on the type of service provided.

The scheme is intended to support community groups who can demonstrate from the income they receive that they cannot meet market rent payable for the property that they rent from us.  This includes income from the following sources:

  • other government contracts specifically for rent
  • contributions to rent from residents and/or service users
  • donations or grants specifically for rent.

There is an expectation that the group will work towards paying market rent for the properties they rent from us, as the Rent Support Scheme is not a long term solution.

Rent support is not available for:

  • Transitional housing services funded by Ministry of Social Development and the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development (these services are also not eligible for a Community Group House).
  • Services providing support for people in independent living situations.
  • The costs of providing office space or staff accommodation. 

The Rent Support Scheme is not a long term solution, and there is an expectation that the Group will work towards paying market rent for the properties they rent from us.

Rent support must be reviewed when there is any change in your circumstances, as this could affect eligibility. We aim to check this with you annually.

To find out more, call the Kāinga Ora service centre on 0800 801 601.

Page updated: 25 January 2024